Skip to main content

First Review : Shining Force

Ok guys, here is my first ever review - Shining Force. This is a game I beat a long time ago, but just finished going back through it again. My review style may change over the course of the different reviews, but stick with me and I'm sure I will find an easy to follow style. So here it goes!

                                            Shining Force Review by Genesaturn



Box Art




Title Screen


Main Battle Map


Combat 


Synopsis:  The Continent of Rune has slumbered in peace for 50 generations. A horde of invaders swarm across the border, while a dragon that has slept for centuries stirs in its tomb. Only the king's youngest swordsman and his war party and defy the Dark Dragons evil power and crush the mighty army! - As stated on the back of the game box.

Plot: So the main plot of the game isn't something we haven't seen before, but when the game came out it was pretty unique. For the most part the story is simple and you generally know how it will play out from the first few minutes in the game. It's not bad, just pretty basic, but this isn't a game I would recommend just for its plot line anyways. The game never strays from the main story as being one of the first RPG's of its time, it had no need to and it is short compared to modern RPG's. 

Overall Plot Score: 7 out of 10

Game Play: Gameplay is really where the game shines. Its very fun and requires some amount of strategy, as it is a strategy RPG. There is no "world map" like in a lot of RPG's. You pretty much travel from town A to town B, but there are no random encounters or anything of that kind. While in town you can buy/sell items from merchants, save your game, and talk to town folk. Combat is pretty engaging. You can control up to 10 troops in battle at one time. So towards the end of the game when you have way more than 10, you really need to choose your party carefully. In combat you will be on a map and when you select one of your units, a highlighted are will come up to show where they can move. This is where you need to think out your strategy. Running in guns blazing is not a tactic that will work in this game. Overall the combat is fun and pretty time consuming. I've found myself in a single battle for over an hour. It's not overly difficult, but does offer up a challenge and there is a wealth of different types of characters to keep your party fresh if you decide to go back through more than once. 

Overall Gameplay Score: 9 out of 10

Graphics: Gauging graphics on a game from 1993 is hard to do when we have such beautiful games out today. So when looking at the graphics, I compare them to other games from the same time and system. While the Genesis may not exactly have the lively color palette the SNES does, it still has its share of very pretty games. Shining Force has great graphics for its time period. The colors darker and more rugged to fit in with story which is also dark and rugged. In combat especially the characters are done very well and with quite a bit of detail. The brightest spot though would have to be the magic spells and battle animations. All of them are done very well. There are some really ugly games on the Genesis, but this isn't one of them. Shining Force is by far one of the prettier games on the system. 

Overall Graphics Score: 9 out of 10

Music: The music in Shining Force is your standard JRPG music. It's nothing outstanding, but nothing that would make you want to mute the game while you play. I'd have to say though compared to how fun the game is, the music is one of its weaker points. It's fairly repetitive and doesn't change depending on where you are. All towns have the same music as does the battles or dungeon type areas. The sound effects however are top notch. There is quite an array of sound effects for magic spells especially. So again, the music doesn't deter from the game, I personally just wish there was more of it and less repetitiveness. 

Overall Music Score: 7 out of 10





Overall Score: 8 out of 10


Final Thoughts: If your a fan of RPG's then this is a must play. Shining Force was one of the first of its kind. At the same time Nintendo had Fire Emblem, but Shining Force is a much more engaging game. You actually get to explore and talk to people. It's more open. I loved the game back in 1993 and I still love it just as much now. It is a solid RPG with a fair amount of replay-ability. Great gameplay and beautiful 16-bit graphics make this a gem in any Genesis collectors collection. If you don't have it...a complete copy will probably set you back about $25 bucks. Well worth the money. It's not perfect, and will probably frustrate you a few times, but in the end..more than worth it! Go pick it up and play!!!




Comments

  1. Check out Landstalker and Shining in the Darkness by the same team. They had kind of the same style going in all three because they were made around the same time. I'm not sure that they worked on the sequels, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up! I've passed up SitD and Landstalker a few times due to what I felt was way over priced...but they are certainly on my list of games to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know your blog is about collecting, but it IS true that you can get them in digital form legally. Not just on Virtual Console or disc packs, but like this:

      http://www.amazon.com/Landstalker-Treasures-King-Nole-Download/dp/B004J4WZH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335409274&sr=8-2

      http://www.amazon.com/SEGA-Genesis-Classics-Series-Download/dp/B004IPPEO0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1335409274&sr=8-6

      But there's no "thrill of the hunt" there, eh?

      (Sorry about first post. I copied the same link twice the first time).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game Collection Re-Organization

               Hey guys, so I been picking up a few new pieces to my collection. Sorry again for the lack of updates, I figured I'd have more time to fit gaming/reviews and other projects in, but I haven't. I just re-organized my game collection though and figured I'd post pics to give you guys an idea how my Genesis CIB collection is coming along. Also posted pictures of my non Genesis stuff. Enjoy!

Thy Super Famicom Hath Landed!

So I'm happy this came in the mail today and I wanted to share with everyone!  

Starting from Zero - A new adventure in game collecting

 Seasons greetings and happy new year folks. I have not maintained this blog in a long long time. Over the last several years for personal reasons and financial hardships, I stopped collecting actively and rarely enjoyed time to play the games I owned. I have sold off 98% of my entire collection to help my family in time of need. I am happy to say though, the rough seas have now turned into calm waters. We are house hunting for a home with a large enough space for an entertainment room. My four (soon to be 5) kids love playing games old and new. So I look forward to restarting this journey with them. As of now my collection consists of a few systems I held onto and even less games. Current consoles in my collection :  Green Halo Edition XBOX  XBOX Series X Sega Saturn Sega Dreamcast Sega Genesis Sega 32x Nintendo Gamecube Nintendo Wii (modded) Nintendo Wii U Nintendo Switch Nintendo Gameboy Nintendo Gameboy Color - Purple Nintendo New 3DS XL (Monster Hunter ver.) PSOne PS2 (JP) PS3 PS4